What we do
Environment Live provides the UN Member States open access to information and knowledge on the environment at the global, regional and national levels. It supports Environmental Policy through Foresight, Outlooks and Assessments and providing Capacity Building for countries to achieve the Goals of Agenda 2030 and Sustainable Development. Environment Live provides up-to-date information for citizen-science, communities of practice and impact stories and case-studies on the environment and people.
Open access to global, regional and national environmental data and knowledge
- Environment Live Knowledge platform, as an integrator making accessible data and knowledge
- Integrated support for assessment and policy decision-making, at global, regional and country levels
- Indicator Reporting Information System, I.R.I.S. (provides technology to support countries monitoring, reporting to MEAs and SDGs, capacity development at country level)
- Big data and Web Intelligence, citizen science and social media
SDGs Data and Information
Follow-up and review of the environmental dimension for sustainable development and SDGs
- Overall UNEP Follow-up and Review for Sustainable Development Goals and Global Reporting on SDGs. UNEP is custodian agency for 31 indicators and contributes on another 50 of the SDG Global Indicators Framework
- Synergies between SDGs and MEAs
- Capacity Building for SDGs, monitoring and reporting and statistics capacity development at global, regional and country level
- Environment Live has datasets related to 112 out of the 241 SDG Indicators, and 17 out of 17 Goals
Please click here for more information.
Environment Live provides member states open access and data and knowledge on the environment, based upon Country’s priorities and needs
Environment Live is a dynamic on-line platform for sharing contextualized data and knowledge to keep the environment under review. Environment Live principles promote open access to national data and knowledge connecting to open data portals, harvesting data from country websites and making it accessible and available. More than 3455 data flows from 193 countries are available in Environment Live and the platform is continuously updated. Environment Live offers countries multiple benefits e.g. increasing visibility of a country's progress and enhancing transparency facilitating interdisciplinary research and integrated research environmental assessments; advancing knowledge and enriching information-sharing.
Strengthening the strategic regional presence of UNEP and Early Warning and Assessment
- 6 Regional Coordinators and their teams in 6 UNEP Regions (North America, Latin America and Caribbean, Europe, Africa, West Asia and Asia and the Pacific)
- Regional Resource Mobilization and Partnerships, G.E.F projects and coordination with Regional Commissions
- Outreach of Environment Live, I.R.I.S., SDGs and GEO Assessments
- Regional Environmental Information Networks contributing to Ministerial Environmental Conferences
Environment Live supports Global GEO, Regional GEOs and other Assessments throughout the whole life-cycle of policy making
Environment Live has strengthened UNEP's assessment processes through access to source knowledge and data flows to keep the environment under review.
Environment Live connects to data providers to make accessible global and regional data flows essential for assessments. These flows are available as near-real time data, data files (csv/xls), as trend data for indicators relevant to internationally agreed goals, as maps, charts and scientific reports. Lots of global data sets/data flows are accessible via Environment Live; the platform has over 800 maps and over 2 474 publications which include analyses and assessment findings on environmental and related social and economic factors. Users can therefore find a range of data and knowledge which can be downloaded and exported in various formats for further analyses and decision-making.
This has shaped a knowledge sharing culture by supporting greater collaboration on knowledge co-creation, production and use of data, indicators, integrated and thematic assessment analyses and findings.
You can use the search function to locate anything that may be looking for on Environment Live.